How to pick the right degree? What career should I choose?
Choosing a career can be very tough for you because there are many career options from which you can choose. You must be confused about what career I should choose?
One thing to keep in mind for choosing your career is your interests. Also, you should think a little about what your passion is? Or what subject do you enjoy the most? Once you get the answer.
Follow your passion because the course you will choose, you have to work on it all your life.
What Career Should I Choose?
Everyone says that career should be your priority, but nobody can tell you what career you should choose. It should be only and only your choice.
Your career will decide your future. It can affect your income, identity, lifestyle, personal fulfilment, family and retirement.
Here are some lists of things you should consider while choosing your career: –
1. Know Your Interests – It is important to know your interest because maybe the thing that you love the most can be your career for your entire life! Think of a career that can be so satisfying and fun! Your work and life will be so happy if you know your interest and follow the same as your career.
2. Know Your Skills – All of you must be having a skill. You have to think about that excellent skill you possess. Your skills can be of 2 types hard skills and soft skills: –
- Hard Skills – they are acquired through formal education or training. For e.g.- computer programming, culinary arts etc.
- Soft Skills – also known as people skills or interpersonal skills. Soft skills refer to an individual’s social abilities and how they relate and interact with other people.
For e.g.- communication, team work, time management etc.
3. Know Your Strengths, Talents and Weaknesses – You need to know your strengths, weaknesses and talents. You should know these things so that you can list down and help you to succeed in the career you have chosen.
Also, everyone has weaknesses, you should try to improve your weaknesses. These will help you change for the future.
So, don’t be afraid and keep going!
4. Know Your Personality – Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of feeling, thinking, and behaving. It is an important aspect for your career. Think several aspects and think about your future: –
There are many other aspects you can consider, but some of them are: –
- Are you a follower or leader?
- Do you prefer to work in a group or alone?
Are you the one who thinks of new ideas or you are the one who takes action?
5. Know About Education and Training for the Career Chosen – There are many career options that require a huge amount of money or advanced education. For e.g. If you want to be a doctor, you need to study for about 8 to 10 years of education and professional training. Think that if you can invest this much amount of time and money in the career you have chosen.
6. Are Jobs Available in the Career you have chosen? – You should know that the career you have chosen has job opportunities or you need to do business. Many of us want a job for securing our future and many of us wish to take risk. So, think before you start!
7. How Much Money Do You Want to Make? – This is true that you don’t have to choose a career on the monetary terms. But also, it is also right to know about if you can earn a living through the career you have chosen.
8. Know about Living Areas – So, there are many jobs which require living in certain areas or certain living conditions. For e.g. If you have decided to become a forest officer, you have to live near forest areas.
So, if you can live in certain areas and certain living conditions you can pursue the career you have chosen.
9. Ask Yourself – Why do I want to Pursue this Career? – Always and always remember that the career you have chosen, should be your choice not others. Don’t let others’ expectations and opinions affect your career choice.
How To Pick the Right Degree?
There are so many universities and so many courses to study that you can’t even imagine. If you wish to pick the right degree for yourself, look some of the points below to understand better: –
- Once you have decided which career you want to pursue, then it’s time for choosing the right degree for yourself.
- Firstly, you need to have a Bachelor’s Degree which is an undergraduate program or a Diploma. This can be for 3 years or 4 years. There are various subjects you can choose from. For e.g.- law, psychology, English literature, health, history and many more.
- There are other undergraduate courses which are in the form of foundation degrees and the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) and the Higher National Diploma (HND).
- Once, you have decided to pursue a bachelor’s degree, now you have to decide the subject.
- Your subject must be something which excites you to learn something new about that particular subject.
- After choosing what subject degree you will pursue, you have to choose from which University you want to do your particular subject degree. In that University, choose a college which is best fit for you.
- According to that, you need to score marks or grades. So that you can fulfill your aim.
What career should I choose? Firstly, you have to know about your interests, skills, strengths, talents and weaknesses. One of the most important things is to know about your personality and set your career accordingly. Also, know about how much money is required in your education or training. Know about job opportunities. Know about how much money you can make from the career you choose. Check living requirements needed. And lastly, you need to ask yourself- do you really wish to pursue that career?
For picking up the right degree, you need to decide if you wish to do a bachelor’s degree or a diploma. Choose the right course according to your interests and abilities. At last, you need to choose a University and a College. According to that aim to achieve good grades.