Every year lakhs of students choose Fashion Designing as their career. Are you also willing to do fashion design? But without proper information, you will be confused. Take a look at this article, if you want to know more about Fashion Design.
Fashion Designing has become a very popular option among students who wish to pursue their career in the fashion industry. The students or candidates who wish to go into the creative field choose to become fashion designers.
And we can’t deny the need for fashion in our life! Everything we buy or wear, we keep in mind the new fashion and trends to match the fashion statement.
In this article, you will learn about eligibility, entrance exams, top colleges and universities, job opportunities, and many more about Fashion Design.
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion Designing is the art of creating and designing clothing including a wide range of fabrics, styles, colors, and patterns. Clothing includes- dresses, pants, skirts and all types of clothes we wear.
They also create accessories like shoes, bags, handbags, and many more. All these things are taught in fashion designing courses. One can also specialize in a particular field as well.
Fashion Designing Courses Available
Popular Fashion Design Courses at UG Level
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Bachelor of Design (BDes)
Bachelor of Science (BSc)
Bachelor of Fashion Technology (BFTech)
Popular Fashion Design Courses at PG Level
Master of Arts (MA)
Master of Design (MDes)
Master of Science (MSc)
Master of Fashion Technology (MFTech)
Master of Fashion Management (MFM)
Eligibility Criteria for Fashion Designing
Students who want to do graduation in fashion designing must have cleared their 12th standard from any stream with not less than 50% marks. Students must have completed their 12th standard from a recognized board and school.
Those who are looking to do post-graduation in fashion designing, they should have completed their graduation degree in fashion with not less than 50% marks are eligible for doing Post Graduation.
Almost in every College and University, admission is done on the basis of marks or ranks scored in the entrance examination. Let’s look at some of the most famous fashion designing entrance examinations:-
1. NID DAT – The National Institute of Design Aptitude Test is considered to be a tough entrance examination. NID is a very good Institution to study fashion design. It offers students to take admission in Bachelor of Design and Master of Design courses. To take admission, students have to clear NID DAT Prelims and NID DAT mains entrance examinations.
2. NIFT Entrance Exam – National Institute of Fashion Technology, offers UG and PG courses entrance exams to candidates. NIFT is one of the most prestigious institutions for fashion designers. NIFT headquarters is situated in Delhi. However, it has 15 other branches all over India.
3. CEED – Common Entrance Examination for Design is conducted by IIT Bombay. This offers students to take admission to Masters of Fashion Designing and other Designing courses. A lot of institutions accept CEED scores for admissions.
4. UCEED – Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design, is conducted by IIT Bombay. This offers students to take admission into different colleges covered by this examination. Students are offered to take admission in different courses of design and fashion designing at the UG level.
5. IIAD – Indian Institute of Art and Design Entrance Exam, is a very popular entrance exam taken by a very popular institution. It offers students to take admission in both UG and PG courses- BA and MA in Fashion Designing & BA and MA in Fashion Business Management. Firstly they conduct this entrance exam and then they arrange interview rounds for UG & PG Courses respectively.
6. Pearl Academy Entrance Exam – Pearl Academy is also a very popular name in fashion education. The academy is famous for its fashion designing courses. This entrance examination is taken in three rounds- January, April, and June every year. When students clear this exam, they have to appear for the interview round.
List of Top Colleges In India
Mentioned below colleges are the top colleges in India.
- NIFT Delhi
- NIFT Mumbai
- NIFT Bengaluru
- NIFT Chennai
- NIFT Patna
- Army Institute Of Fashion & Design, Banglore
- NID Ahmedabad
- VIFT Banglore
- SID Pune
- Pearl Academy, Delhi
List Of Top Recruiting Companies
Fashion Design students have a lot of opportunities to work with different companies. They can work as fashion designers with well-known Companies. Let’s take a look at the top recruiting companies who hire fashion designers:-
- Shoppers Stop
- Pearl Global
- Orient Craft
- ITC Ltd.
If you are further interested in knowing more about this course, or if you want to know about which fashion course will suit you the most, Contact:-
Sunanda Rao, Career Counselor