Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) Course – Details, Entrance Exam, Admission, Top Colleges, Jobs & Salary
Bachelor of Education or B.Ed. is a professional degree course which is of 2 years. This course is done after graduation. This degree is done by students to become a teacher for primary, secondary or senior levels in schools. According to the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) it is mandatory for all teachers to have a B.Ed. course.
When we talk about teaching as a career, it is considered to be one of the most noble professions. Now, as the time has changed, each parent is very concerned about their child’s studies. They can just rely on teachers who can make their children’s base strong in starting and provide them with immense knowledge to build a career for themselves.
In this article, you will learn all details regarding B.Ed. which is mandatory to become a teacher.
Bachelor of Education Eligibility
There are several institutions in India and Abroad which provide a degree of Bachelor of Education. And hence, the eligibility criteria may differ from institution to institution. However, the basic eligibility criteria is:-
1. Education Requirements :- A person or candidate who wishes to do B.Ed., must have a bachelor’s degree in any stream. May it be commerce, science, humanities, journalism etc. from a recognized University or Institution?
2. Age Limit :- There is no specific age limit for candidates who wish to do B.Ed. However, in specific colleges the minimum age is considered to be 19 years for taking admission in this course.
3. Minimum Score:- Candidates who wish to pursue B.Ed., must have to pass their graduation degree with a minimum percentage of 50% – 55%. There is a relaxation of 5% is allowed for candidates who belong to reserved category.
Duration – B.Ed. is a two year degree course that can be learned full-time or through distance learning.
Skills Required For B.Ed. Course
Before becoming a teacher, candidates should know the skills requirements. So, candidates should have the following skills:-
- Quick Learner
- Good communication skills
- Critical thinking ability
- Good organizational skills
B.Ed. Course Admission – In almost 99% of universities, B.Ed. admission course admission is done through entrance examinations held by the government or private universities. Candidates have to clear this entrance examination to take admission in various colleges and universities.
A candidate must have to score good marks in this entrance examination because candidates will be provided admission purely on the basis of scores obtained.
B.Ed. Entrance Examinations
There are different exams which are conducted by different universities and colleges.
- Delhi University B.Ed. Entrance Examination ( DU B.Ed. )
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test ( IPU CET ) for B.Ed.
- J.P. Rohilkhand University B.Ed. Entrance Exam
- Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Examination ( BHU UET
- RIE CEE Entrance Examination (Regional Institute of Education Common Entrance Examination)
- Uttar Pradesh University B.Ed. (UP B.Ed.)
- Purvanchal B.Ed. Entrance Examination
- Punjab University B.Ed. Entrance Examination (CET B.Ed.)
- Mumbai University B.Ed. Entrance Examination (CET B.Ed.)
- Satyam College of Education B.Ed. Entrance Examination (SNDT B.Ed. Entrance Exam)
- Guru Nanak Dev University B.Ed. Entrance Examination (GNDU B.Ed. Entrance Exam)
- Tezpur University Entrance Examination (TUEE)
- Madhya Pradesh Vyapam Pre B.Ed. (MP Pre B.Ed.)
- Chhattisgarh Pre B.Ed. (CG Pre B.Ed.)
- Himachal Pradesh University B. Ed. (HPU B.Ed.)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University B. Ed. (IGNOU B.Ed
Some Top Universities to Study B.Ed. Course are:-
- Central Institute of Education (Department of Education of the Delhi University), Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Women’s University, Mumbai
CTET – It is also compulsory for candidates to appear for Teacher Eligibility Tests (TETs) after clearing B.Ed. Appearing and clearing this TETs Entrance Examination is a must to become a teacher in government schools such as Sarvodaya Vidyalayas (SVs) and Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs). This examination is conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) twice a year. Some of the TETs conducted in India
- CTET (Central Teacher Eligibility Test)
- UPTET (Uttar Pradesh Teacher Eligibility Test)
- KTET (Kerala Teacher Eligibility Test)
- APTET (Andhra Pradesh Teacher Eligibility Test)
- OTET (Odisha Teacher Eligibility Test)
- TSTET (Telangana State Teacher Eligibility Test)
Career, Jobs & Salary – After B.Ed., you become a teacher, you can take a job in which you can work permanently, full time, part-time, temporary as per your interests. With a B.Ed. the degree you can work in Schools, Education Department, Coaching Centers, Education consultancies, home, and private tuitions, etc. You can also become an entrepreneur by opening your own education institute.
Job Titles – You can work at different titles or at different posts as a teacher. You can work as a School Teacher, Counselor, Principal, Vice Principal, Private Tutor, Education Researcher, Education Consultant, Online Tutor, Private Tutor, etc.
Salary – The average salary of a teacher in starting is Rs. 3 lakh – Rs.4 lakh per annum. Also, the salary package increases with the increase in experience. Also, education qualifications also matter when it comes to deciding the salary of a candidate.
However, In government schools, the salary of a government teacher can earn more than Rs. 3 lakh – Rs. 4 lakh per annum.
If you are further interested in knowing more about job opportunities after 12th standard, or if you want to know about which job is the best fit for you, Contact:-
Sunanda Rao, Career Counselor